1602 E. Cesar Chavez St.
German immigrant Charles Wolf (c.1843-1913) purchased this corner lot in 1883. Wolf was an enterprising man, and his many jobs included merchant and real estate broker. He built this house for both his retirement and his young family in 1900-1903. Architects designed the house in the late Queen Anne style, popular at the beginning of the 20th century. Its Palladian window, asymmetrical design, large porches, and steep, complicated roof, are examples of the colonial revival influence. The Wolfe house was the center of social activity in what was then (and is now) a fashionable neighborhood. The house has pine floors, cypress siding, oak mantles, and classical detailing. Charles Wolfe emigrated from Germany at 16, served in the Army during WWI, and owned a farming and investment business. Members of the Wolfe family occupied the house from 1903 to 1954. After the death of Martha Wolfe in 1954, the house was rented to various persons. In 1974, Jack Canson purchased the property and saved the structure from destruction. He literally stopped the wreckers as they were about to demolish the building. Over the years, Preservation Austin! (formerly called the Heritage Society of Austin) has awarded grants and loans to enable continued restoration.