Martin Middle School
1601 Haskell St.
Located along the north shore of Ladybird Lake and edging what was once Festival Beach sits Martin Junior High School. In the 1940s the War Training Production Program used this site. Named for Sam L. Martin, an educator who served the district for 39 years as the vocational coordinator, Mr. Martin took a leadership role in creating the War Training Center on the same site and was director of the Evening School Program, which earned local and national recognition. Barnes, Landes, Goodman, & Youngblood Architects designed the junior high as a replacement for University Junior High School, which reverted back into University of Texas hands. Built to accommodate 1,000 students the new school consisted of 20 classrooms, various special classrooms, a library, gym, and activity center.