Historic Scoot Inn
1308 E. 4th St.
Built in 1871, The Scoot Inn began as a railroad saloon and is claimed to be one of the oldest continuously running bars in Texas. East Austin at the time was a mix of warehouses, railroad workers, and rich bankers with a mix of African-Americans, Hispanics, and Anglos. In 1940, Scoot Ivy and his buddy Red opened Red’s Scoot Inn, after a number of owners who had operated through the Depression and Prohibition. They catered to railroad men and workers who needed a drink after a long journey or day’s work at nearby factories and warehouses. The business remained in their hands until 1980 following their deaths. The Scoot Inn experienced a fire between the 1980s and 1990s, but was rebuilt in 1997 and run by Vera Sandoval. Ms. Sandoval and her mother Red ran the business for a time before The Longbranch Inn acquired the Scoot Inn in December 2006. The two bars are collectively now known as the East Inns.